Friday, May 1, 2009

Color Scheme/what to call them?

Space Marine players shouldn't have all the fun, after all - having your own themed, colored, and named Contingent (i.e. 'Chapter', 'Craftworld', or in this case, 'Sept') of a 40k army adds quite a bit to an army -- cohesion, respect, and moral support for those ever-fickle dice, if nothing else.

On par with everyone's favorite funny force, "The Emperor's Pointy Sticks", I'm firmly of the opinion that it should be a funny, anectodal name for the Sept my Tau hail from, preferably one based on the color scheme I've (finally) decided on:

-'Chaos Black' basecoat
-'Sanguine Base' (Privateer Press)
-'Dark Angel's Green'
-'Dwarf Bronze'
-'Blood Red'
-'Chaos Black' wash

The Sanguine Base is a fantastic color/paint to work with, looks great as the standard fire warrior armor color, and matches quite nicely with the Dark Angels Green clothing color. The Dwarf Bronze adds a nice contrast to the centerpiece of the fire warrior chest armor and elbow/knee pads and as a nice metalic element on the pulse rifle 'screw' and Devilfish-chassis sensor slots. Finishing up with Blood Red and more Dwarf Bronze on various sensor bits (pulse rifle scopes, backpack bits, helmet eye-sensor-thingies, etc.) gives it a menacing look, and a good quick wattered down Chaos Black wash really highlights things while giving the whole model a VERY nice hardened/gritty fighter look.

After I finished painting the first fire warrior and showed it around the Games Store like the shameless bragger I am, the first comment made was that it looked astonishingly similar (yet visually darker) to a certain infamous Marvel Comic Book Villian.

Yea, I can work with that.

My original idea was to have the Tau of Sept Gob'in, but on reflection that just sounds stupid. There's gotta be some sort of amusing, anecdotal, pop-culture referencing name I can use as my Tau Sept name, and I'm committed to finding it, or give up trying.

Any suggestions :)

2 comments: